Monday, May 12, 2014

Corn and Avocado Mexican Hot Dogs


I had some hot dogs that were about to expire and I thought "what am I going to do with these?". We bought them when we had some little cousins over to visit but then we ended up ordering a pizza instead. They just kind of sat in the fridge for a while until I noticed that they were going to expire next week. I had planned on making my bacon guacamole since I had two ripe avocados so I thought, why not mix the two together! Didn't know if it was going to work but they were so delicious and great grown up version of a hot dog. And my 17 month old daughter ate them too so I guess it was a family hit! I also saved some for lunch the next day and it was still just as tasty! I wouldn't leave it for longer than a day though because the avocado will start to brown. Just keep everything in separate containers.  
  
7-8 slices of bacon
1 1/2 Tbsp onion, diced
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
1 can corn, 15.25 oz drained (about 3 ears of corn equal one can if using fresh)
2 Tbsp lime juice
3/4 tsp cilantro
3/4 tsp cumin
2 avocados
pinch of salt to taste
8 beef hot dogs (I suppose you could use regular but beef just tastes so much better)
8 hot dog buns

I used real bacon instead of turkey bacon! It was on sale, what can I say. I cooked 8 slices but.....1 didn't quite make it to the bowl so I only used 7 for the dish. Cook the bacon and crumble it into small pieces in a bowl. In the pan with the bacon grease, throw the diced onion and saute for a few minutes. You can use a separate pan and olive oil if you don't want to use bacon grease. Do this for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Throw the bacon, sauteed onion, diced tomatoes, drained corn, 2 Tbsp lime juice, 3/4 tsp cilantro and 3/4 tsp cumin in a bowl. Stir it all together. Don't those colors just look so pretty! I didn't want to mix it up!

Once that is stirred up, throw in the avocado. If you want it more smooth, than mash the avocado separately than throw it in the bowl. I didn't want to dirty another bowl so I just mashed it in here. It was a little chunky but I like that.

It should look like this! Still pretty colors yes?

Cook the hotdogs according to package directions. While they were cooking, I decided to toast the buns a little bit. I put them on a cookie sheet.

I brushed a little olive oil on them. Not too much but just a enough to get crisp.

Than I popped them in the broiler on the top rack for 2 minutes. Don't put them in there for to long or they will burn really fast.

Than put your hot dog on a toasted bun, spoon the corn and avocado mixture over the hot dog and bite down on the deliciousness!

To print, right click below, save and print:



No comments:

Post a Comment