Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Zucchini Boats

Did you know that the zucchini came from Italy? I did not. They first started showing up in the late 19th century. I think that's pretty interesting but than again, I love history! ha ha When I was learning how to cook (Read about that experience here!) this was one of the first things I tried to make for my husband. They look fancy but they are super simple (and delicious!). This recipe is adapted from Kayotic Kitchen, one of my favorite cooking blogs.
Delicious Zucchini Boats

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp sour cream
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper
1 tsp thyme
2 zucchinis
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
cheese
1 Tbsp olive oil
Optional: bacon


Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 F (200C).

Take your zucchini and cut them in half





You can either trim the stems off or leave them on for decoration but don't eat them. Personally I like them on but do whatever floats your (zucchini) boat! 
Next dice the onions.

Then dice the half a bell pepper


Then scoop the insides out of the zucchini but leave a little around the edges.



Then chop up the zucchini insides and set them aside.

Pour olive oil in a pan and saute the onions for about 5 minutes, until they are soft. 


Once those are nice and soft, throw in the bell pepper for 2 or 3 minutes

Next throw in the garlic and chopped zucchini insides for about a minute.




When it's all done, throw it into a bowl. Add the thyme and garlic salt.

If you want to leave it vegetarian you can skip this next step but I love bacon! I cooked 2 stripes of turkey bacon. Yum! Crumble it up and add it to the bowl.




Then add the sour cream

Stir it all together! Then scoop it into the hollowed out zucchini. 

I lightly sprayed my backing dish before putting them in there. Next top with cheese. I used mozzarella this time but I've made these numerous times with lots of different cheeses (cheddar, gruyere, shredded Italian 5 cheese blend) so go with what you like.   




Pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Then turn on the broiler and let the cheese melt. I had mine in for almost 3 minutes because I like the golden brown mozzarella but with other cheeses you might want it a little less time. 

And Ta da!  Super delicious zucchini boats!

Make it healthier: Don't use sour cream or substitute Greek yogurt (make sure it's plain, without sugar).  


Substitute: 1/4 tsp garlic salt with 1/4 tsp regular salt


Add: You can add ground black pepper to taste if preferred, add it when adding the salt. 




3 comments:

  1. I made these tonight - simple and delicious. I need to figure out a better way to scoop out the zucchini, mine was not a pretty as the picture. I also added celery and I have a lot of kiwi, so added 1/2 for flavor since I didn't use the sour cream. But my oh my, I'll add this to my permanent recipe collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a spoon to scoop out the insides of the zucchini. Kiwi sounds divine! I'll have to try that next time!

      Delete