Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Omelet Muffins



These are so so so delicious! I found these on Pinterest from Ella Claire Inspired and once I started eating them, I couldn't stop! I've made them about 4 times now in big batches and then freeze them so I can grab something yummy and filling in the morning before running off start my busy day! I'll throw 2 frozen ones in the microwave for about 2 minutes and easy filling breakfast on the go! 

2 (9 cup) muffin tins 
Baking spray made with flour
72 frozen tater tots
fillings (bell pepper, pre-hooked ham, pre-cooked sausage, spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, squash, zucchini, bacon, jalapenos, whatever you want)
dozen eggs
1/2 cup milk
cheese to sprinkle on top (cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella would be good depending on your filling)

First thing you need to do is to preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Next grease muffin tins. You need to spray with a baking spray made with flour and you need to spray it very, very well. Sides, bottom everywhere. If you don't, they will stick and it will be a horrible mess! Trust me, I learned this the hard way.


You're going to need 72 frozen tater tots. Put them in a bowl and pop them in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes to thaw out. Then place 3 into each of the 18 muffin tin cups. 


Then take a small glass and squish them to flatten then out

They should look like this.
Next throw the tater tots in the oven for about 10 minutes to get them cooking. While they are cooking, you can prep your filling. My favorite is diced yellow & red bell pepper and diced pre-cooked ham. I've made it with bell pepper and bacon as well as with strawberries. Soon I'll try some other delicious insides. I'm thinking of trying butternut squash! We'll see how that goes! This time I used diced bell pepper and pre-cooked diced ham. Once your tater tots are done, take them out and drop the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Than add your fillings to the muffin tin cups.

Next it's time whisk together 12 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk 


Then pour the egg mixture into the muffin tin cups. I used a measuring cup to pour to make it easier and less spills!

Then sprinkle some cheese on top

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the egg is cooked through. 



Use a butter knife to run along the edges of the muffin tins and use a fork to pop them out. And done!

They taste delicious right away but freeze great! In the mornings I put two frozen ones on a paper towel and pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes. The only ones that didn't freeze too well were the strawberry ones but they tasted great when eaten right away. If you only want to make one muffin pan worth, than use 36 tater tots, 8 eggs and 1/4 cup of milk. 

To print, right click below, save and print.

2 comments: