Monday, April 14, 2014

Bacon Guacamole

Welcome to my blog! A few years ago when I first learned how to cook, I basically did so through Pinterest. I didn't know what the cooking terms meant and I learned through wonderful blogs that were descriptive, had lots of helpful pictures and were delicious! I am by no means a professional chef or photographer. I'm a mom who fell in love with cooking. These are the real recipes I feed my family and I hope you'll make them to feed your family as well.  I hardly make the same dish twice. I like to try substitutions and play around with recipes. The ones I present to you are the best version that I've made but I'll try to include some substitutions for you. I hope you'll enjoy!

In the 15th century when Spanish Europeans encountered the Aztecs, they were already making guacamole: mashed avocados with tomatoes, green chilies and sea salt. The Aztecs use to dip soft tortillas in the guacamole. Eventually, guacamole became the food eaten at ports by sailors to the new world. The Spaniards were the ones to incorporate onions, cilantro and lime juice as well as using crisp, fried tortillas. 

There are many variations of guacamole but traditional Mexican guacamole contains avocado, onions, chilies, tomatoes and salt. So with that in mind, here is my version of bacon guacamole, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! And it's super simple! 
Adapted from Closet Cooking

Did you know that the Superbowl is when the most avocados in the US are consumed? Cinco de Mayo is the 2nd day that most are consumed and since that is coming up in a few weeks, hopefully you'll use this recipe!

Bacon Guacamole:
4 stripes of turkey bacon
2 large avocados
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 Roma tomato
2 Tbsp yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried cilantro
salt, to taste
1/4 tsp olive oil

First grab some turkey bacon. If you haven't had turkey bacon, you should try it out. It works just as well as regular bacon in most recipes except for "bacon wrapped" things. 


Cook the bacon
Yummy Turkey Bacon!

When the turkey bacon is done, put the 2 Tbsp onion in the same pan you just cooked the bacon in along with 1/4 tsp olive oil. Do that until soft, about 3 minutes.


Sauteing onions
Once those are done, make sure your tomato and jalapeno are seeded and diced. 
Finely chopped veggies about to go in the bowl
Put all the ingredients but the bacon in a bowl. Stir until desired consistency is achieved. Tear or crumble the bacon and put it on top. Enjoy!


Bacon Guacamole


Substitutions: 

4 strips of real bacon for the turkey bacon
Juice from 1 lime for 2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro for 1/2 tsp dried cilantro

Make it healthier:

Use raw red onion and don't saute in turkey bacon grease

No comments:

Post a Comment