Friday, April 18, 2014

Strawberry and Kiwi Salsa with Toasted Cinnamon Chips



Doesn't this look absolutely delicious! And guess what, it is! I first want to share with you my friend's blog called Today She Loves which has wonderful baking recipes and lots of other goodies for you! I first saw the Strawberry & Kiwi Salsa recipe by Carla Hall on The Chew (which is on ABC). I've adapted it. The Chew is a great show, I watch it everyday. They always have such delicious recipes, I wish I had time to cook them all! This one is simple, easy, quick and very delicious. 

Toasted Cinnamon Chips
Nonstick cooking spray
5 flour Tortillas (cut in triangles)
1/4 cup Melted Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon

Strawberry Salsa
1 Pint Fresh Strawberries (diced)
2 to 3 Kiwis (peeled and chopped)
1 Tbsp Lemon
1 Tbsp Lime
2 tsp Cinnamon sugar (see below)


First, lets start with the chips. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Put the sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl. 

Give it a good stir. This is now the cinnamon sugar you'll use for the Strawberry & Kiwi Salsa. Reserve 2 tsp for the Salsa.

Next, grab your tortillas. I used whole wheat ones.

Now you need to cut it. I used a pizza cutter but I suppose a knife would work too.

So do that 4 times cutting it into 8 equal triangles chips. Try to make the chips all the same size so they will cook evenly. 

Looks like a mini pizza! Now do that with the rest of your tortillas until they are all little chips.

Next spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. I prefer the kind with flour, keeps things from sticking a little better I think. Then lay your tortilla chips on the baking sheet.

Spray the chips lightly with cooking spray.

Take 3 Tbsp butter and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds until it's melted. Then brush 1/2 of it onto the chips.

Next take the cinnamon sugar and sprinkle 1/2 of it over your tortilla chips. I didn't use 1/2 of my sugar because I don't really like super sweet things. However, if you do like super sweet, go for it! Once you're done with that, turn all the chips over and repeat with the 2nd 1/2 of the butter and the rest of your cinnamon sugar.

Pop those into the preheated oven for about 15 to 18 minutes, until crispy.

While those are baking, take your pint of strawberries and chop them up and place them in a bowl.


Next grab your Kiwis and peel and chop them as well.

Throw the kiwi in with the strawberries. Add the 1 Tbsp lemon, 1 Tbsp lime and the reserved 2 tsp of cinnamon sugar. Stir until thoroughly combined. 

By now your chips should just be finishing up! 

Put some of the strawberry & kiwi salsa into a bowl.

Grab some chips and enjoy!

Print Recipe Below
Make it Healthier: Just sprinkle some Cinnamon on the chips instead of Cinnamon Sugar. They don't toast up as well but they are still good. I made a few like this for my daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment