Friday, April 25, 2014

Roasted Spaghetti Squash

I love spaghetti squash! It is so tasty and goes great with so many flavors. You can have it in almost any way you would eat spaghetti. This is my favorite way to cook spaghetti squash and I hope you'll enjoy it too. This was adapted from the lovely Martha Stewart.


1 spaghetti squash (about 4 lbs)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp cilantro
1/4 cup almonds
optional: bacon bits


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grab your spaghetti squash. Just in case you don't know what it looks like (I didn't when I first started to learn to cook) here it is.

Cut it in half lengthwise

Scoop out all the seeds so you're left with just the delicious inside!

Next brush the insides and the rims of the spaghetti squash halves with the brown sugar (1/2 Tbsp for each half). Normally I don't use sugar in recipes and I often substitute it for honey. However, that isn't the case for this recipe, it just tastes so good! Maybe I'll try it someday with honey, I'll let you know.
So now lightly spray a rimmed baking dish with cooking spray. Put the two squash halves cut side down in the dish.

Pop then in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until tender. If it's more than 4 lbs a little longer, if weighs less than a little shorter. 

I scrapped the squash in that picture with a fork just a little bit to show you what it should do when it's done cooking. If it starts to come up looking like spaghetti, than it is done. If not, then pop it back in the oven for a few more minutes. Once it's done, let it it cool for a little bit so you can handle it, about 10 minutes. Once it's cooled, scrape it with a fork until all the insides are out and put them in a bowl. It should look like spaghetti! Add the olive oil, Parmesan, parsley, cilantro, almonds and salt and pepper to the spaghetti. If using bacon, add it. I used store bought bacon bits this time because I was out of turkey bacon.
Toss it and enjoy!


Right click image below to print:



Make it Healthier: 
Leave out the brown sugar, perhaps try honey

Substitute:
You can try any nuts if you don't like almonds: pine nuts, pecans, hazel nuts.



2 comments:

  1. love spaghetti squash ! I like this recipe and can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think when you try it!

      Delete