Monday, June 9, 2014

Toddler Busy Board


If you read my post on O's Fun Toddler Summer Bucket List, you know that she has "Get a Busy Board" on her summer bucket list. I wanted her to have a busy board to 1) keep her busy on rainy days but most importantly 2) help her practice her fine motor skills and satisfy her curiosity about the little things in the world.

I thought why not make my own. So I did! It didn't cost very much and I was able to customize it to what O likes to do most. Life is too short and they are only going to be interested in this type of activity for just a small part of their life, make their little years a little happier with a busy board made with love.


To start, you have to buy a board. I found this one at Home Depot for $2.50
Then I painted it. I had some left over paint from painting the trim around the house so I painted it white.

Then I added a bunch of hardware I found for cheap at Wal-Mart. It was all very cheap. These door stops are O's favorite to play with. And truthfully, I have fun pulling them as well!


I got these samples of wood for free at Home Depot! Add a hinge and a cabinet knob and you have a door! I'm thinking of adding something behind it, perhaps a mirror or maybe a laminated picture of her (she loves pictures of babies).

I added several kinds of locks. She loves flipping them back and forth!

I added a wheel. She really enjoys spinning the wheel!

I bought an "S" hook and an "eye hook". She loves to take the S hook and try to stick it in the eye hook. It's great for hand eye coordination and fine motor skills. I was a little nervous about having a loose piece but she hasn't lost it yet. When she has it in her hand she is very determined to hook it around the eye piece. We'll see if that lasts!

This was part of one of the locks. She hangs the S hook on it as well.

My favorite thing to watch her play with is the chain. I get excited when she tries to hook it on the little white hooks. It's really hard! But she gets such a sense of accomplishment when she does it. I bought the chain at Home Depot for $0.50 a foot and I got one foot. I used a 2nd eye hook to hold the chain. 

The colorful dots on the board are self adhesive mini reflectors I bought at Wal-Mart. She loves to touch them and try to pull them off (they don't come off). I hope you can come up with some creative stuff for your busy board! 



No comments:

Post a Comment