Thursday, June 26, 2014

Brownie Bombs


These are called brownie bombs because once you bite into them, there is an explosion of deliciousness! Edible chocolate chip cookie dough (no eggs), wrapped in a brownie, dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with M & M's. Yes, they tasted divine and yes I may have ate one (or two...or more) but once you make them you'll understand why! So as I've stated before, I don't bake very often. I find baking to be a science while cooking is an art. I'm not too good at science but I get a lot of good tips from my friend, Linda, who blogs at TodaySheloves. I merged two recipes to create this awesome bomb of deliciousness, the cookie dough recipe adapted from SeededAtTheTable (which you should try in it's entirety some time) and the idea came from The Domestic Rebel though I didn't follow the recipe. So here is the tasty treat I know you're dying to try!

For the Cookie Dough:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Brownies:
You can either use your own recipe or cheat a bit like me and use a box! Make sure it fits an 11 X 8 pan

Topping:
16 oz of premium white chocolate baking chocolate
mini M & M's 

These take a little while to make but trust me they are worth it! First you need to make a pan of brownies. I used 1 box and put it in an 11 X 8" glass pan. I cheated and used a brownie mix but if you have a home made recipe you can use that. I baked them in foil so that I could just pull the foil out of the pan and it makes it easier to cut into squares.

You have to let them cool completely once they are done. So set aside and start working on your cookie dough.

If you have a cookie dough recipe you can use that but here is a great one if you need it. If you do use your own, make sure it doesn't call for eggs because we will not be cooking the cookie dough. Add the 1/2 cup of melted butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar to a bowl.


Cream together until smooth

Next add the 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp vanilla extract to the sugar and blend until a ball forms and flour is fully incorporated

Then pour on your 3/4 cup chocolate chips

Kneed the chocolate chips into the dough 

Take a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon and then roll that until a ball. Pop it into the freezer for about an hour.

Once your cookie dough is hard in the freezer and your brownies are completely cooled, cut the brownies into 1 inch squares.

Take one of the squares and squash it down with the palm of your hand. Sorry for the blurry picture, it didn't seem blurry on my camera.

Take one of the cookie dough balls and stick it on top of your smashed brownie.

Then roll the brownie up around the cookie dough. You might have extra and you can tear that off to smash into another brownie if you need to. 

It's also alright if your brownie doesn't cover the cookie dough completely. It will be covered in chocolate and you won't see it. Or you can add extra bits of brownie if you have them 

Once they are all wrapped up in brownies, stick them on a foil wrapped pan and in the freezer for about 30 minutes. A tip, if you put them in two separate pans, keep one in the freezer while you work with the other so they stay cool. If they start to warm up the brownie will fall off when dipping in the chocolate.

When the brownies are frozen, it's time to melt your chocolate. I used 4 of these for all of my brownie bombs (16 oz of chocolate). 

So next dip your brownie in your melted chocolate and place back on the foil baking sheet to harden.

While it is still wet, sprinkle with mini M&M's. I put some on top immediately after I dipped them and then I added some to the sides after it hardened a little bit. If you put them on the sides too soon they will slide down to the bottom. 

Pop them in the fridge so they harden and then enjoy! I kept them in the fridge, I'm not sure how they will be if you take them out but my husband took some to work and they were fine (but they were eaten quickly!)




No comments:

Post a Comment